
On Monday, August 4th, we received a phone call that changed our lives forever!! Our caseworker told us that we had been selected by a birthmother who wanted to place her baby with in our family. My first thoughts were that they mixed up the names of the adoptive couples and that this was all just a big mistake...I was happy that this miracle could come to someone, but I didn't think it was us. After confirming that, yes indeed we had been selected, I was in shock. I was at work when I had received the phone call and I broke down, right there in the hallway. One of my coworkers knew what was happening as I gave to the minute updates whenever I had one. She came out in the hall and held me as I cried tears of joy and love!! It was the most amazing experience ever.
Our caseworker told us that we would want to make sure we had enough supplies to last at least a night since there was a possibility that we would be bringing home a child the VERY NEXT DAY! Joel and I conversed over the phone during all of this, and we were both amazed. When I left work Monday I told everyone, "well, I might not ever be back to work...we will see what tomorrow brings!"
When I returned home, Joel and I embraced and cried tears of joy that our prayer were being answered and a miracle was happening right in front of our eyes...TO US! Our caseworker was careful to say that it wasn't clear that we would come home with the baby the next day, but to just be prepared in case.
After we gained control of our emotions again, we rushed to Target to buy the items we would need. It was so much fun! We didn't want to buy a lot because we knew that there was a chance that we wouldn't leave with the baby. We had FHE Monday night with a few of our friends, so I had created a fun display and covered it up with a blanket. After the lesson I made an announcement and removed the blanket. Our friends were so excited! Needless to say I couldn't sleep that night. I kept thinking of all the possibly situations and outcomes...I didn't eat at all on Monday (minus one black raspberry and coconut Italian soda)...
Tuesday came and I was a wreck. Nervous, sick to my tummy, and just anxious. We didn't know anything about the birth mother or baby....there were so many questions and concerns...would she really like us once she met us?...would we be able to make a quick connection?...what does she want from us?...
We prepared the car, said a prayer, and took what felt like the longest drive in the history of the world to the LDS service agency in Tigard. We arrived nervous, scared, and excited. I kept thinking that this type of thing doesn't happen very often. Usually with this agency you are selected before the child is born and work to build a strong relationship with the birth mother hoping she doesn't change her mind...all the while, buying and preparing. (Joel and I liked this way much better because it was less stressful for us) We were in with our caseworker when Cassandra, her baby boy, and her parents pulled up and walked in the agency. From the moment I saw her, I knew that she would be a part of our lives forever.
I was so nervous waiting to meet her...what questions should I ask?...is it going to be weird?...what if, how long, why?....
All my worries were removed the moment we walked hand in hand into the room where she was waiting. We walked in a happily married couple and left a mommy and daddy. I was so amazed at the spirit that our Cassandra had with her. She was perfect. Beauty that can't be described. Gorgeous. And her baby.......wow!!! I was instantly in love. After talking with her and her family for a while, we were asked to step out of the room for a while so that they could have time to talk things over and figure out what they would like to do. A few moments later, a knock at the door of the office we were in came....SHE WANTS YOU TO BE THE PARENTS! I am sure the whole building heard me crying the second those words were uttered. Our caseworker felt our joy and left Joel and I to have a moment by ourselves. We both cried together, right there in the office, and just kept saying, "we are finally parents! We have a son!" It was amazing. The spirit was so strong and our hearts were so full. After a few moments, I grabbed my camera and walked into the room looking like a truck had hit me...I was an emotional wreck, but in a good way. I never dreamed that this day would have come so quickly. I wanted to hold Cassandra and never let her go. Wow...I was a mother, just like that! It was beautiful. But still, my heart broke for her...to give up such a miracle is no easy feat. In fact, I would imagine that it was one of the hardest, yet most rewarding experience she may ever have in this life. The most hardest part of this whole experience was asking Cassandra if we had her permission to change the name of her baby boy. I will never forget the moment when, after a few moments of silence and some tears, she was able to muster out "yes. That will be fine with me."
We took pictures, said thank you, gave hugs, and then they left the room. Again tears...
We spent the next hour finishing our paperwork and marveling in the beauty of our Son. We put him in the car seat, turned on the AC in our car and began our journey home. By the end of the day I was so sick of talking on the phone that I almost threw mine out the car window...but at least the news was good!! Tuesday night we were blessed to have many visitors who came to congratulate us and see our new addition.
It has been the most amazing week of my life!! Baby C....what a hunk!
I know that the spirit of the Lord guided us to each other...as Joel and I spent time reflecting on the last year that we spent preparing for adoption, we calculated that Cassie conceived Baby C almost to the week that we decided to begin our paperwork. We know, the Lord played a vital role in bringing us together and are forever grateful for the gospel and what it teaches us about eternal families! We hope and pray that Cassie and her family will be with us as we are with them, and create a bond that will allow us to stay close forever! I can't wait until we are able to be sealed to Baby C for time and all eternity. Our hope is to have my Uncle Laurel (who sealed us together in marriage) be the officiator again for this beautiful experience we are going to be blessed to have.
We are excited to learn more about our Cassie and teach Baby C about the amazing sacrifice she made for him!
CASSIE WE LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!
Our caseworker told us that we would want to make sure we had enough supplies to last at least a night since there was a possibility that we would be bringing home a child the VERY NEXT DAY! Joel and I conversed over the phone during all of this, and we were both amazed. When I left work Monday I told everyone, "well, I might not ever be back to work...we will see what tomorrow brings!"
When I returned home, Joel and I embraced and cried tears of joy that our prayer were being answered and a miracle was happening right in front of our eyes...TO US! Our caseworker was careful to say that it wasn't clear that we would come home with the baby the next day, but to just be prepared in case.
After we gained control of our emotions again, we rushed to Target to buy the items we would need. It was so much fun! We didn't want to buy a lot because we knew that there was a chance that we wouldn't leave with the baby. We had FHE Monday night with a few of our friends, so I had created a fun display and covered it up with a blanket. After the lesson I made an announcement and removed the blanket. Our friends were so excited! Needless to say I couldn't sleep that night. I kept thinking of all the possibly situations and outcomes...I didn't eat at all on Monday (minus one black raspberry and coconut Italian soda)...
Tuesday came and I was a wreck. Nervous, sick to my tummy, and just anxious. We didn't know anything about the birth mother or baby....there were so many questions and concerns...would she really like us once she met us?...would we be able to make a quick connection?...what does she want from us?...
We prepared the car, said a prayer, and took what felt like the longest drive in the history of the world to the LDS service agency in Tigard. We arrived nervous, scared, and excited. I kept thinking that this type of thing doesn't happen very often. Usually with this agency you are selected before the child is born and work to build a strong relationship with the birth mother hoping she doesn't change her mind...all the while, buying and preparing. (Joel and I liked this way much better because it was less stressful for us) We were in with our caseworker when Cassandra, her baby boy, and her parents pulled up and walked in the agency. From the moment I saw her, I knew that she would be a part of our lives forever.
I was so nervous waiting to meet her...what questions should I ask?...is it going to be weird?...what if, how long, why?....
All my worries were removed the moment we walked hand in hand into the room where she was waiting. We walked in a happily married couple and left a mommy and daddy. I was so amazed at the spirit that our Cassandra had with her. She was perfect. Beauty that can't be described. Gorgeous. And her baby.......wow!!! I was instantly in love. After talking with her and her family for a while, we were asked to step out of the room for a while so that they could have time to talk things over and figure out what they would like to do. A few moments later, a knock at the door of the office we were in came....SHE WANTS YOU TO BE THE PARENTS! I am sure the whole building heard me crying the second those words were uttered. Our caseworker felt our joy and left Joel and I to have a moment by ourselves. We both cried together, right there in the office, and just kept saying, "we are finally parents! We have a son!" It was amazing. The spirit was so strong and our hearts were so full. After a few moments, I grabbed my camera and walked into the room looking like a truck had hit me...I was an emotional wreck, but in a good way. I never dreamed that this day would have come so quickly. I wanted to hold Cassandra and never let her go. Wow...I was a mother, just like that! It was beautiful. But still, my heart broke for her...to give up such a miracle is no easy feat. In fact, I would imagine that it was one of the hardest, yet most rewarding experience she may ever have in this life. The most hardest part of this whole experience was asking Cassandra if we had her permission to change the name of her baby boy. I will never forget the moment when, after a few moments of silence and some tears, she was able to muster out "yes. That will be fine with me."
We took pictures, said thank you, gave hugs, and then they left the room. Again tears...
We spent the next hour finishing our paperwork and marveling in the beauty of our Son. We put him in the car seat, turned on the AC in our car and began our journey home. By the end of the day I was so sick of talking on the phone that I almost threw mine out the car window...but at least the news was good!! Tuesday night we were blessed to have many visitors who came to congratulate us and see our new addition.
It has been the most amazing week of my life!! Baby C....what a hunk!
I know that the spirit of the Lord guided us to each other...as Joel and I spent time reflecting on the last year that we spent preparing for adoption, we calculated that Cassie conceived Baby C almost to the week that we decided to begin our paperwork. We know, the Lord played a vital role in bringing us together and are forever grateful for the gospel and what it teaches us about eternal families! We hope and pray that Cassie and her family will be with us as we are with them, and create a bond that will allow us to stay close forever! I can't wait until we are able to be sealed to Baby C for time and all eternity. Our hope is to have my Uncle Laurel (who sealed us together in marriage) be the officiator again for this beautiful experience we are going to be blessed to have.
We are excited to learn more about our Cassie and teach Baby C about the amazing sacrifice she made for him!
CASSIE WE LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!
9 comments:
Congrats a million times. I am shocked nobody has commented yet, so I am proud to be the first! Ha! I was just reading your Mother's Day/Birthday post and I am SO excited for what next Mother's Day will finally feel like for you.
You are my sunshine.
Just wanted to say congratulations. I remember vividly when we were given Moira. I still look at her and tear up so grateful for our little miracle. So glad that you have received that gift & blessing too. and also what a gift that his birth mother will be involved in his life... Wish you the best in your Mommy & Daddy adventures. Love- The Greens
How incredible! I was on the verge of tears reading your experience! I'm so happy for you!
Keep us updated!
A.C.
I found your blog from some elses and just wanted to tell you congratulations!! What an exciting time for you. We adopted our son 3 years ago and it was such an amazing experience. Thank you for sharing your story....it was very touching. Adoption is truly a miracle!
So I have been in my own personal hole and my internet has been down at home for a week. I am at work today and decided to check out blogs! Holy BATMAN I AM BEHIND!!! And these kinds of posts should not be read at work, yikes! An angel and miracle Cassie is! There is no way to put it all down and give it justice. Adoption is amazing. Elisa and I have sat down and done the calendar thing too and when they started their adoption classes is when I was deciding to place Calli. They also started their paperwork when Calli's birthfather and I met. Heavenly Father ROCKS! He trully knows what he is doing. Congrats on your sweet boy and having the opportunity of being blessed with the title of Mom and Dad!! I contacted Mike and Elisa and placed with them 5 days later. I agree with the quicker the better. =) At least on your end, not having to be drug through an emotional roller coaster , because the paperwork and process is enough. CONGRATULATIONS!
OH MY GOSH! I haven't check blogs in like a month! CONGRATULATIONS! What a miracle! I can't believe it happened that fast, but I'm so very excited for you! I can't wait to watch him grow with you!
Wow what an awesome story... I found your blog of of someones elses blog I hope you don't mind... I love adoption stories they are so close to my heart since I adopted our son 6 months ago... I'm happy for you guys.. Congrats.... He is beautiful
I just stumbled onto your blog and had to comment...
Congrats!! Your story is amazing! Adoption is such a blessing. My husband and I just became parents for the first time when we adopted our baby boy in August also! We can't wait to be sealed to him in a few months. Anyway, I'm so happy for your family. Calvin is so sweet!
Wow! What a touching story! I got to your blog through another friend's blog. What a sweet experience for you and your family, I love it!!
Post a Comment