Tomorrow will mark the first week since we met with our caseworker. We got all the paperwork and direction we needed and were treated with readings from our referrals. It was very heartwarming and since I have been blessed with a sensitive spirit, it didn't take long for my eyes to moisten and tears to roll ever so gently down my cheeks. We have set a goal to have all our paper work and home study procedures complete by July 1st. (If you do the math that is about eleven weeks) I think that is a good time line to set, and hopefully we will be done before then. My goals are to update our weekly progress to help stay motivated and to express my feelings as much as I can. So without further adieu, here is what we have accomplished in week one:
- Employment Verification
- Tax Forms compiled
- Marriage license collected
- Physicals scheduled (for May 5th)
- All online forms complete, with the exception of the questionnaires
- A plan for getting out background checks and finger prints done
Not too bad for the first week, right?!?! We are working on filling out our questionnaires, and will soon begin our letter to the birth mother. What an amazing experience we are involved in. My heart is so full and I am so humbled by this experience. I have found myself talking to all my co-workers and friends about what we are going through and the happiness I know I will have. I love telling my co-workers that the minute I get the news that we have been selected by a birth mother to parent her child, I will put in my notice at work and have uncontrollable joy! I honestly can't wait to be a full-time mom! Bring on the crying, diapers and immense loads of laundry. I am ready and waiting!
3 comments:
Hi Lila! My name is Janese and I happened to come across your blog and I'm glad I did! I am so excited for you and your husband to start the adoption process! My husband and I have two adopted boys from the same birth mother and father. I grew up with the birth mother and so it was a little easier that way, but we almost went to LDS Family services. We tried for two and a half years to conceive and had a lot of tests ran on both me and my husband and everything seemed to be fine. I do suffer from endometriosis so I think that had a lot to do wit it. But After we adopted our first boy he was about seven months old I became pregnant but sadly I miscarried. Then two weeks after that we found out the birth mom was pregnant again and wanted us to have this child also. Of course we did and then about two months after we found out about our second boy I got pregnant right after that. It was pretty crazy. But we felt like that was how it was supposed to be. So our second boy and our daughter are only six months apart. Pretty much like twins! Anyway, just a little about me! I pray that you will soon have a baby and hope all goes well with the process. Never give up and have a great day!
Your new friend,
Janese
I think that's a good timeline. I have to tell you though I felt such a sense of urgency when we started the process that from the time we met with our caseworker and picked up our home study kit to the time we had turned everything back in was 10 days. Seriously I hounded our doctors and everyone else to get everything in "right now." Our caseworker jokes that we "won" the application award. Because I was in such a hurry it made everyone at the agency in a hurry. They had our interviews and homestudy done and we had our approval within 6 weeks from the time we started the process.
At the time I felt like we HAD to hurry. I honestly was convinced that someone, somewhere was waiting on us. But that wasn't the case. We started the process in October of 2005, recieved our approval in December and well, yeah. You know the rest from my blog. I have no idea why I had that sense of urgency. I have no idea what gave me the focus and the strength to push everything through so quickly.
But I do finally know why we had to wait so long. Because we had to wait for Gideon. He's the child that we're supposed to have.
Good luck with everything, and if you ever have any questions or if there's anything I can ever do for you, please let me know. (Travis and I volunteer at LDSFS. In addition to teaching the adoption prep class, I also co-facilitate a weekly birth parent support group here. Although thankfully not the one that my birth mom attends.) So when it comes to the mechanics of the process I've been around long enough to see a lot.
Take care.
Hi Joel and Lila-
This is Sarah (remember me - Patrick's wife, we used to live in Salem last year)... I just wanted to say that I have read your blog and I had absolutely no idea this is what you guys were going through all that time we were living there in Salem. I cried reading your blog and listening to that song - I would die for that. I am so sorry for what you have been through. However, I think that you are right when you say that God has a plan for all of us and there is a baby out there somewhere that is being created just for the two of you. I know you will both be absolutely amazing parents, and you will treasure your baby more than ever because of what you have been through. I hope that your dream comes true soon and you get the call that a mother has chosen you.
We miss you guys!
-Sarah
Post a Comment