Wednesday, March 19, 2008

My inspiration....

This song has always been a part of me. When I was a young girl and had heard this song on a Michael McLean tape, I would always want to rewind it and sing it over and over. My mother thought that it was pretty strange because out of all the uplifting songs that were on the tape, this one was the only one I wanted to hear. I didn't realize until a few years ago what this song was actually about...but I do know that this song is what plays in my mind when I think of the joys and struggles of adoption. I feel very strongly that my life has been guided so carefully to be prepared for this point in my life. Looking back over the years, I can see that God has had a plan and has given me the guidance I need to be prepared for this life changing event. I haven't found the actual song yet to share with you, but I have posted the lyrics, so you can see where my heart is. By the way, we meet with our caseworker April 10th!!

From God's Arms to My Arms to Yours

So many wrong decisions in my past,
I'm not quite sure if I could ever hope to trust my judgment anymore.
But lately I've been thinking, because it's all I've had to do.
And in my heart I feel that I should give this child to you.

And maybe you can tell your baby when you love him so
that he's been loved before
by someone who delivered your son
from God's arms to my arms to yours.

And if you choose to tell him and if he wants to know
how the one who gave him life could bear to let him go,
just tell him there was sleepless nights I prayed and paced the floor
and knew the only peace I'd find is if this child was yours.

And maybe you can tell your baby when you love him so
that he's been loved before
by someone who delivered your son
from God's arms to my arms to yours.

I know that you don't have to do this, but could you kiss him once for me
the first time that he ties his shoe or falls or skins his knees?
and could you hold him twice as long when he makes his first mistake
and try to tell him that he's not alone? Sometimes that's all it takes.
And he's not alone. I know how much he'll ache.

And maybe you can tell your baby when you love him so
that he's been loved before
by someone who delivered your son
from God's arms to my arms to yours.

This may not be the answer for another girl like me
and I'm not on a soap box singing how we all should be.
I'm just trusting in my feelings and I'm trusting God above,
and I'm trusting that you can give this baby both his mother's love.

by Michael McLean <©> 1990

6 comments:

Lindsey from The R House said...

if you love this, you will love every song on the "chosen" cd. there is a link on my site. it's what got me through--that and a lot of prayer, tears, retail therapy and cheesecake.

Anonymous said...

I am really excited for you guys and love being kept up to date with your adoption process. You already know how much you'll love being a mom. Ever since I had Ellis, whenever I think of babies that aren't wanted, I just wish I could take them all into my home to love and kiss on each of them. It's so wonderful that you will have the opportunity to do just that. The baby that comes to you will be so blessed!
I'm sure you already have a lot of contacts and support, but in case you wanted more, there is a couple in my ward who recently adopted a baby boy (less than a year ago). I could put you in contact with them if you wanted.
Take care!

Anna said...

Lila,
Paul and I listen to Cherie Call (the LDS artist) quite a lot because her songs are so inspirational. Anyway, I don't know if you've heard her songs, but here's a great one that makes me cry everytime I hear it. Let me know if you're interested in the album and we'll copy one for you since Paul has it:

Delivery
(Cherie Call)

She was only seventeen and she knew she couldn't keep him
But at that very moment she wished that she could try
He was sleeping in her arms with his hand around her finger
When a woman came and told her it was time to say goodbye
So she wrapped him in a blanket as her tears fell on his head
And she sent him with a letter, and this is what it said;

"I delivered you from Heaven, from God's gentle loving care
And I've entrusted you to mortals who have wished and prayed you there
They will be your earthly parents
Listen well to what they say
So they can deliver you back to Heaven
And I'll meet you there someday"

One day a few weeks later someone gave her a letter
And as she read the words she had to wipe the tears away
It said, "We don't know how to thank you
There are things that words can't say
He's the sunshine and the happiness that brightens all our days
And we couldn't live without him, and we love him as our own
He has filled the empty spaces in our family and our home

You delivered him from Heaven, something only you could do
And you have trusted us to love him and to teach him what is true
You have been our earthly angel
And I hope you know we pray
That we can deliver him back to Heaven
And that we'll meet you there someday

And even though you may not get to hold him for a while
A piece of you will be with him
Every time he smiles
And when he looks at his reflection, he'll see traces of the face
Of the one who made the sacrifice to send him to this place

Last night we read a story of a man who had a son
Who was from a different father, but he loved him as his own
And as he laid Him in a manger there were angels that were singing
And he knew that as a father he would never be alone
There are times we feel like Joseph
We need help from up above
And when you gave your son, you showed that father's kind of love

When you delivered him from Heaven
From God's gentle loving care
And you entrusted him to mortals who had wished and prayed him there
And when this life's laid out before us
I hope we all can say
That we delivered this child together
When we meet again someday
We'll deliver him back to heaven
And we'll meet you there someday

the splendid life of us... said...

I have the adoption cd that he put out and we listen to it all the time! These words make me tear up everytime I hear them! Beautiful!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lila said...
This comment has been removed by the author.